This commune covers an area of 7.5km², and has nearly 10,185 inhabitants who are known as ‘Saviniens’. It is adjacent to Saint-André, La Chapelle-Saint-Luc, La Rivière-de-corps, Les Noës and Troyes and is about 1km from the city centre. Located in the western suburbs, it is reached via the ring road and is 7km from junction 20 (Torvilliers) of the A5 from Paris.
Sainte-Savine is known for both its social and economic vitality. The main road through the town, Avenue Galleni, has numerous shops. The town hosts many cultural events, both outdoors and in the 700-seater performance venue located in the ‘Maison pour Tous’. This building, which has recently been restored, dates from 1932-35 and has been classified as an historic monument since 2007. Community life is important in Sainte-Savine, and is supported by various many organisations including the ‘La Maison des Viennes’ community centre. The Viennes Greenway goes through the commune and is a pleasant walk through this floral town, which has been awarded three flowers by the Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation.
Inhabited since at least the Celtic period, Sainte-Savine has developed over the centuries from a rural village to an industrial village, and is now a great place to live. It owes its name to the sister of a young Greek man called Savinien, who was decapitated close to Troyes. Savine arrived too late and died in this village that now bears her name. The church in the town is dedicated to her. Destroyed and subsequently rebuilt, it dates from the 16th century, as do its stained-glass windows. The building and its windows have been classified as historic monuments since the beginning of the 20th century. The church is almost a ‘hall church’, because the difference in height between the nave and the aisles is minimal and their size is largely the same. The West Door dates from 1611. It has two arches that are framed by fluted columns with Corinthian capitals and a curved pediment, which is divided into two sections leaving space in the middle for a 14th-century statue of the Virgin Mary. The whole demonstrates the integration of 17th-century Greco-Roman influences - known as ‘classical style’ - into a religious building that was built a century earlier.
Sainte-Savine takes pride in preserving its history, and especially its industrial heritage. Workers cottages, bourgeoise houses and factories - like that at 10 Rue Benoit Malon - may be included in an architecture and heritage conservation area, or Aire de Mise en Valeur de l’Architecture et du Patrimoine (AVAP) which is currently being considered.
In the cemetery, an obelisk with an iron cockerel records the names of those who died in combat. It is inscribed, ‘To the children of Sainte-Savine and Rivière de Corps, victims of an imperfect society - War against war,’ which makes it one of the ‘pacifist’ war memorials that oppose the glorification of war.
This commune covers an area of around 5.9km² and has 11,770 inhabitants who are known as ‘Dryats’. Located adjacent to Sainte-Savine, Rosières-près-Troyes, La Rivière de Corps and Troyes, it is 3km from the city centre. It is close to the ring road and is less than 10 km from junctions 20 and 21 of the A5 from Paris.
Located west of Troyes and founded in the 16th century by the monks of the Abbaye Montier-la-Celle, Saint-André has from this period onwards been known for growing vegetables and fruit, hence the name ‘les vergers’, meaning ‘orchards’. Now rewarded with three flowers by the Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation, it has also been recognised by Unicef France as a ‘Ville ami des Enfants’ for its commitment to the well-being of its children. Saint-André offers access to high quality cultural, sporting and community facilities including the BIANCHI sports centre, the public library, the toy library and the Espace Gérard Philipe theatre which seats nearly 300 people. The Ecole Municipale des Arts et Loisirs offers well-regarded dance, drama and music lessons, and contributes to the well-being of residents of all ages. Today, Saint-André-les-Vergers is expanding, but retains its rural charm thanks to the many timber-framed houses and protected green spaces including the ‘Ile Germaine’ woods, the ‘De la Fontaine Saint Martin’ canal and the ‘Bassin des Roises’ pond.
In the commune's cemetery, the statue of a grief-stricken woman pays homage to those killed in battle.
The church of Saint-André dates from the early 16th century and has been classified as an historic monument since 1840. It houses a 17th-century shrine, sculptures of various saints and the Education of the Virgin which date from the 16th century. There are also group sculptures, including a Pietà and the Lady Chapel reredos, which are both of polychrome limestone, date from the second half of the 16th century and are classified as objects considered to be historic monuments. From outside, the church of Saint-André catches the eye of anyone who passes due to the roofs of the side chapels that are perpendicular to the nave and side aisles. Its west door has two levels with garlanded columns, carved faces and a profusion of fine carved details making it an example of the local interpretation of Mannerism, which was an international artistic movement.
La Chapelle Saint Luc
This commune covers an area of 10.48km² and has 12,634 inhabitants who are known as ‘Chapelains’. It is adjacent to Troyes and is just 3km from the city centre. The two communes are linked by a bus route and also by cycle tracks. Reached directly from the ring road, La Chapelle-Saint-Luc is located about ten minutes from junction 20 (Torvilliers) of the A5 from Paris.
La Chapelle-Saint-Luc has a harmonious mix of green space and pleasant urban areas, and has been awarded three flowers by the Villes et Village Fleuris organisation. The shopping areas are perfectly situated in the middle of the various districts, and add to the lively feel of the commune. La Chapelle Saint-Luc is a cultural quarter. The Didier Bienaimé arts centre has a rich and varied programme including exhibitions, theatre, music, concerts and shows for young people. The Etangs de Fouchy nature park is a real haven of peace dotted with lakes and greenery.
In the 19th century, the arrival of the Malterie de Champagne malthouse and the workshops of the Compagnie des Chemins de Fer de l’Est railway company made La Chapelle-Saint-Luc one of the major communes of Aube. After the damage caused by the Second World War, it was rebuilt and a museum was opened in 2000.
To the north-east of La Chapelle Saint Luc, in Rue Jules Ferry, stand the 16th-century church, which is dedicated to St Luke. Classified as an historic monument since 1907, it has a cross-shaped plan with double transepts - a feature that was particularly fashionable in Auboise churches built during the 16th century. Its stained-glass windows, which have been restored many times since the mid-19th century, have been classified as historic monuments since 1894, and are part of the Collection Champenoise des Vitraux du Beau XVIe. Next to the church, the First World War Memorial has a helmet, rifle and victory palm resting at the base of an obelisk. North of Rue du Général Sarrail is a second church, a chapel dedicated to the Sacré-Coeur, which was built between 1953 and 1954.
This commune covers an area of nearly 4km² and has around 4870 inhabitants who are known as ‘Mariepontains’. It is adjacent to Troyes and is less than 4km from the city centre. It can be reached directly from the ring road and is less than 10 minutes from the nearest junction of the A26 between Calais and Troyes.
Pont Sainte-Marie is the first town in the départment of Aube to create an Ecodistrict. Located on the former Moulinet military base at the end of Rue Moulinet, it was set up in 2010. The commune is thriving both economically and socially, and is home to many businesses, including one of the largest factory outlets in Europe. Mac Arthur Glenn attracts more than 2 million visitors each year. The link between the environment and social life of the town has been recognised with the award of two flowers by the Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation.
Pons Sancte Mariae, which became Pont Sainte-Marie, was an important staging post in the Gallo-Roman period as it was the only bridge north of Troyes and an important crossroads on two Roman roads. The Seine is the natural border between Troyes and Pont-Sainte-Marie. Alongside the river, at the end of Rue Pasteur, is the 16th-century church of Notre-Dame-de-l ’Assomption. It has been classified as an historic monument since 1895, a year after its 16th-century stained-glass windows were classified. One of its windows, which shows an allegory of the fight between Protestants and Catholics, is attributed to Linard Gontier and dates from between 1590 and 1593. The church consists of three main sections and has three doorways that all have a similar structure, but the fine detailing on each shows significantly different influences.
The commune website is currently being updated, it will be available again soon.
This commune covers an area of 73 hectares, and has 3187 inhabitants who are known as ‘Noyats’. It is located between La Chapelle-Saint-Luc, Sainte-Savine and Troyes and is 3km from Troyes city centre. It is linked to these communes via main roads, some of which have cycle lanes.
In the 1970s the commune of Noës switched from being officially regarded as a rural commune and became an urban one. With a busy community life, and having worked hard to create a quality of life that is much appreciated by its residents, the smallest commune in the département of Aube has made its small size an asset. The Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation’s award of three flowers has contributed to bringing the community together and boosted the attractive surroundings of Noës.
The hamlet of Noës was founded in 1162 and its name was derived from the word ‘noue’ which referred to the fertile, damp soil. The Rue des Noues, the ancient Gallo-Roman road from Paris and Montereau ended at Noës.
The church, which is dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin, dates from the 1st quarter of the 16th century and was classified as an historic monument in 1907. It is a ‘hall church’, which means that all the sections of the building are approximately the same size, and that the ceiling is the same height throughout the church. The floorplan is rectangular with only the apse protruding from it. This regional feature is only found in around twenty churches in the Aube département. This design means that the windows are not very tall, nevertheless the stained-glass windows may still be of high quality, as here. The windows in this church mostly date from 1510 - 1530, although some come from the last quarter of the 17th century and have been classified as historic monuments since 1894. The iconography includes traditional subjects such as the life of Christ, the Virgin Mary and the saints, and more unusual themes such as the illustration of vice represented by people playing cards (Window 0). The doorway dates from the last quarter of the 17th century and shows features of what is known as classicism, meaning the influence of Greco-Roman antiquity. In this case, mascarons (faces carved around the doorway), fluted columns, the various details and height of the entablature contribute to the Roman feel of this doorway.
Opposite, on the Place Jules Ferry, standing on a plinth, is an obelisk decorated with the victory palm, croix de guerre medal and the tricolour badge, which commemorates Noës’ ‘glorious dead’.
This commune covers an area of around 5.3km² and has nearly 6905 inhabitants who are known as ‘Sancéens’, which is derived from an older name of the town. During the Roman period it was known as ‘Saceium’, then in the 15th century it became ‘Sancey Saint-Julien’ after a Roman soldier who converted to Catholicism and was martyred. The name Sancey was dropped to leave Saint-Julien, to which ‘les villas’ was added in 1919 to make the name more refined and recall the heyday of the commune during the Enlightenment. Charles Perrault, Jean de la Fontaine, Boileau and Fontenelle were frequent visitors to the Château des Cours at Saint-Julien, which was destroyed in 1945. Saint-Julien-les-Villas is located in the south-eastern suburbs of Troyes and adjoins Bréviandes, Saint-Parres-aux-Tertres and Troyes. It is 4km from the city centre.
Today, Saint-Julien-les-Villas is home to many of the landmarks of Greater Troyes including the Maison du Patrimoine local heritage centre, which promotes university research into heritage, and one of the largest factory outlets in Europe, Marques Avenue, which is visited by millions each year. Made up of parks, cycle tracks, watercourses and lakes, the commune offers a pleasant place for the Sancéens to live and has been awarded three flowers by the Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation. Saint-Julien-les-Villas also has sport and leisure facilities, services and associations, shops and businesses that contribute to community life.
In the middle of the commune, opposite the Mairie, the church of Saint-Julien-de-Brioude is dedicated to a Roman soldier who was martyred at Brioude in Auvergne. Originally dating from the 16th century, it was rebuilt between 1871 and 1879 in the neo-gothic style. Classified as an historic monument in 1981, its church furnishings are also of good quality, especially the polychrome and gilded statues, including a Pietà and a Christ of Pity attributed to the Maître de Chaource. These have both been classified as objects considered to be historic monuments since 1908.
In the cemetery, the War memorials for the First and Second World Wars pay homage to those Sancéens killed in combat.
This commune covers an area of 5.7km² and has around 970 inhabitants who are known as ‘Lavautins’. It is located less than 5km from Troyes city centre. Located on the eastern ring road, it is also linked to Troyes by the D78. It is less than 10 min from junction 23 (Thennelières) of the A26 between Calais and Troyes.
It has a nursery school and a primary school, a public library, associations that offer sporting and creative activities, and a retail park outside the village. It has been awarded one flower by the Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation. Lavau offers a lively, pleasant place to live where its green environment is respected.
In 2014 Lavau gained national and international attention with the discovery of a royal tomb dating from the beginning of the 5th century. This was found in a burial ground that began to be used in the 14th century BCE. The deceased was buried on a chariot in a burial chamber within a burial mound. Grave goods including gold bracelets, a bronze cauldron and black-figure pottery made this discovery truly remarkable for archaeologists and made Lavau an incomparable historic site.
Saint Parres aux Tertres
This commune covers an area of 11.8km² and has around 3070 inhabitants who are known as ‘Patrocliens’. Their name comes from Saint Patroclus (also known as Saint Parres) patron saint of the chapel where he was buried, and who gave his name to the town. He was martyred on the hill known as Mont des Idoles in 275, where the village now stands. The commune is adjacent to Saint-Julien-les-Villas, Pont-Sainte-Marie and Troyes and is located 4km from the city centre. It is 10 minutes from junction 21 (Saint-Thibault) of the A5 from Paris and 5 minutes from junction 23 (Thennelières) from the A26 between Calais and Troyes.
In 1981 ten sarcophagi were discovered, proving that Saint-Parres-aux-Tertres has been occupied since the 3rd century. The town has stood the test of time, and is now a centre of economic development - as seen in the four retail parks on the eastern side of the commune. However, it has also been awarded three flowers by the Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation in recognition of its commitment to maintaining a pleasant environment and making it a pleasant place to live. Saint-Parres-aux-Tertres also has various cultural events, sports and leisure associations and a range of facilities available to residents.
The 16th-century church of Saint-Pierre is opposite the Mairie. Classified as an historic monument in 1942, its architecture is typical of the region, with the nave and aisles being the same size and height. This is what is known as a ‘hall church’. Nevertheless, the more bays these churches have, the longer they are. The church in Saint Parres aux Tertres is one of the longest, with 5 bays. The South Door has a tympanum that incorporates a stained-glass window, and its 16th-century windows have been classified as historic monuments since 1894.
Next to the Mairie, the First World War Memorial dates from 1950 since the original was destroyed during the Second World War. On the road from Troyes, on the right just after the bridge over the Seine, a stone commemorates the 11 servicemen who died in combat on the 15 June 1940 during the Battle of France in May-June 1940.
La Rivière de Corps
This commune covers an area of 7.3km² and has 3,090 inhabitants who are known as ‘Ribocortins’. It is located in the suburbs west of Troyes, 4km from the city centre. It is reached via various routes, including the D660 from the Pays d’Othe and the ring road. La Rivière de Corps is 5km from junction 20 (Torvilliers) of the A5 from Paris.
La Rivière de Corps is an urban commune with beautiful views of the countryside due to the exceptional rural landscape of the Vallée de la Vienne, which runs from west to east through the commune. It is a real pleasure to make the most of this wonderful place for a walk which links different communes within the urban area. La Rivière de Corps has numerous sports clubs and leisure activities, schools and shops, making it a great place to live. The attention paid to the quality of the environment has been rewarded with two flowers from the Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation.
La Rivière de Corps commemorates its history in the First World War memorial. The square column decorated with the victory palm is located in the Mairie garden. In Avenue du Général Leclerc, between numbers 45 and 47 of the road to Sens, there is a monument to those who were shot on 25 August 1944 when the town was liberated.