This commune covers an area of 12.50km² and has just over 805 inhabitants who are known as ‘Montaulinois’. It is located about 20 minutes south-east of Troyes. Reached via the D123 or the D21, it is 7 minutes from junction 23 (Thennelières) of the A26 between Calais and Troyes and 9 minutes from junction 21 (Saint-Thibault) of the A5 from Paris.
The village of Montaulin is green and coppiced, and has a primary school that is part of the Ruvigny – Montaulin – Rouilly-Saint-Loup inter-communal group of schools. There is a small branch library in the village hall. Associations such as the festivities committee, the hunting, leisure and well-being society and the cycling club contribute to community life. The association SNPA (Sauvegarde de Notre Patrimoine Aubois) works to preserve the history of Montaulin.
Bed and breakfast accommodation is available at the Château de Montabert in Rue du Château. It was built in 1862 by Jules Savoye, on the site of the 18th-century château built by Jacques-Nicolas Paillot de Montabert, which was destroyed in a fire.
Montaulin has two churches. The church of Saint-Martin is in the middle of the village on Grande Rue. Built in the 16th century, side-aisles were added to the nave between 1879 and 1880. Some of the church furnishings are classed as historic monuments, such as an 18th-century green silk stole, an 18th-century painted and gilded oak high altar with imitation marble, and an oil on canvas from 1657. Les mystères de Rosaire has a central image depicting the virgin giving a rosary to St Dominic whilst the Christ-child in her lap gives another to Catherine of Sienna. This is surrounded by medallions inspired by some of the great painters - such as Vasari - that illustrate 15 episodes in the life of Mary and Jesus. Another oil painting dating from the 19th century shows the Adoration of the Magi, after an original by the famous Spanish painter Zurbaran. The second church, commonly known as the ‘Eglise de Daudes’ is dedicated to John the Baptist and originally dates from the 12th century. Modified in the 18th and 19th centuries, it has recently been restored, thanks to the SNPA.
In 2014-2015, Montaulin’s heritage preservation society also worked on the restoration of the communal wash house, which was abandoned in the 1960s. In front of the Mairie there is an obelisk in memory of the ‘sons of Montaulin who died for France.’