This commune covers an area of 10km² and has 893 inhabitants who are known as ‘Glayotas’. It is located 10km south-west of Troyes. Reached via the D72, D109 or the N77, it is 9km from junction 21 (Saint-Thibault) of the A5 from Paris.

Green, wooded and dotted with fields, the commune of Saint-Pouange is a pleasant place to live and has a nursery and primary school and an agricultural high school. Sports and leisure associations, a public library, and the facilities provided by the commune make it a pleasant place to live. It has been awarded one flower by the Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation.

In the middle of the village in Rue de la Reine Blanche, stands the church of Saint-Pouange, which was rebuilt in 1854. The church retains its 12th-century apse, and a vault and window from the 15th century, as care was taken to avoid obscuring the history of the church. Many sculptures that are kept in the church are classified as objects considered to be historic monuments. These include a 14th-century polychrome limestone Madonna and Child and a limestone St Sebastien dating from the 16th century, which may have been made by the school of the Maître de Chaource. Two limestone sculptures from the first quarter of the 16th century in the style of the Maître de Chaource have strained expressions that reflect the sufferings experienced by these saints or the physiological scars that can be seen in other sculptures by the Maître. The stained-glass windows in the church of Saint-Pouange date from the 16th century and are also classified as historic monuments.

In front of the church, an obelisk on a plinth is decorated with the victory palm and commemorates ‘its heroic children who died for France’ during the First World War.

In the Rue du Lavoir to the east of the village, the wash tub used by the washerwomen of Saint-Pouange from the second half of the 19th century to the beginning of the second half of the 20th century can be seen in the small open-beamed wash house. 

Commune Website