This commune covers an area of 11.2km² and has 305 inhabitants who are known as ‘Vailletons’. It is located about13km north-east of Troyes. Reached via the D22 or the D26, it is 8 minutes from junction 22 (Charmont-sous-Barbuise) of the A26 between Calais and Troyes.

Vailly has wide-ranging views over the Champagne Crayeuse region and into the distance. The residents organise events and meet in various associations including a model-aircraft society.

The church of Saint-Nicolas is a rare example in Aube of a church that was built in the 17th century. The large amount of construction in the 16th century, along with the churches built in the 12th century, meant that there was little building undertaken in the 17th century. Saint-Nicolas was, however, built in 1678 to replace the Romanesque church that was originally on the site. The church retains several items that are classified as historic monuments, including two 16th-century sculptures, one of oak representing the education of the virgin, the other in limestone depicting St Eloi, a limestone bas-relief that is also from the 16th century and depicts St Nicholas and two 18th-century statues - an oak Madonna and Child and a limestone Saint Claude.

On the main road through the village, Vailly commemorates those killed in the First World War. The memorial shows the victory palm and croix de guerre medal on a square column and is maintained by the residents of the village.