This commune covers an area of 3.3km² and has nearly 180 inhabitants who are known as ‘Villats’. It is located 16.5km south of Troyes. Reached via the D25, 109 or the D123, it is 10 minutes from junction 20 (Saint-Thibault) of the A5 from Paris.

Villy-le-Maréchal is mainly farmland. The village that stands in the middle of these open fields contributes to the rural charm of the Auboise countryside with its half-timbered and brick rural houses, and preserves its farmhouses and barns.

In the middle of the village, at the fork of Grande Rue and the Rue de Payns, the church of the Nativité de la Vierge dates from the 13th century, but its apse and transepts are 16th-century and the nave was rebuilt in 1879. The 16th-century part of the building has been classified as an historic monument since 1992. Its 16th-century stained-glass windows are also classified as historic monuments as well as many of its church furnishings. To mention just a few: a gilded limestone Pietà dating from the 16th century, a 16th-century polychrome limestone statuette of Saint-Pantaléon and Saint-Nicholas, and other limestone statuettes of the same date such as those of Saint-Maur and Sainte-Savine. The memorial plaque to the priest Pierre Alexandre de Villy, dating from the 16th century is also classified as an historic monument.

In front of the church, an obelisk pays homage to those who died in the First World War. A few metres away, the Chemin du Lavoir leads to a wooden building that covers a wash tub which was the meeting point for the washer-women of Villy-le-Maréchal between the second half of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century.