The Gandelus, a family of Lombard merchants who have lived in Troyes since 1256, had this astonishing hotel (also called the Hotel des Gandelus) built in 1550.
The Lombards, northern Italians, were renowned throughout Europe as money changers and bankers. The adjacent street, known as "de la Montée-des-Changes", led to the Marché-au-Pain where their shops were located at the time of the Champagne fairs.
The ground floor of the building, built in a Champagne checkerboard pattern, has two floors covered with essences (hazelnut or chestnut shingles). The 16th century stair turret has a conical slate roof. The inner courtyard is made of half-timbered walls.
- Spoken languages