CB-ARBRE A CADENAS_999.jpg

Place du Préau

Town square ,  Historic site and monument at Troyes

  • Former site of the palace of the Counts of Champagne built around 1157 by Henri 1st the Liberal. The palace has two floors; it is flanked by the collegiate church of Saint-Etienne - administered by a chapter of 60 canons. On the upper level, a tribune allows the Counts to attend the services. The former gardens of the cloister of Saint-Etienne were located on the present Quai La Fontaine.
    During the Revolution, the Palace of the Counts of Champagne was partially dismembered. It was definitively destroyed in 1806, transformed into a "wood port" following the creation of the Haute-Seine canal, and finally converted into a garden in 1900.
    The garden on the Place du Préau is ideal for a short break with a view of the canal.
  • Environment
    • In the town centre
  • Spoken languages
    • fr*
  • Media