This commune covers nearly 5km² and has 112 inhabitants. It is located 20km south-west of Troyes. Reached via the D25, D108, D188 or the N77, it is a little under 15 minutes from junction 21 (Saint-Thibault) of the A5 from Paris.
The village is located in the middle of wide open fields, between the Forêt d’Aumont and the wooded mound of the historic site of Montaigu. The rural half-timbered and brick built dwellings are dotted amongst the landscape which has alternating valleys and views into the distance. It benefits from the beauty of the Auboise countryside and is a thriving community.
Between 1353 and 1418, the Turin Shroud - the linen cloth on which the image of Christ was imprinted by its placement on his face after his crucifixion - was kept at Lirey. In 1356, the collegiate church of Lirey was built to house the Shroud. It was demolished at the Revolution and many of its church furnishings were moved to other places of worship and museums - such as the altars that are now preserved in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. The present church is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin and was built between 1870 and 1880.
At the crossroads of the D25 and the D88 to the west of the village, the half-timbered wash house can still be seen at the roadside. It was decided to construct this building in 1873 and it formed part of daily life for the inhabitants of Lirey for a little under a century.