This commune covers an area of 5.6km² and has just over 160 inhabitants who are known as ‘Javernandats’. It is located 20km south-west of Troyes. Reached via the D34, D188 or the N77, it is 16km from junction 21 (Saint-Thibault) of the A5 from Paris.
On the doorstep of the Pays d’Othe, the village of Javernant is made up of wooded valleys and plains where the fields stretch as far as the horizon. This rural community enjoys a pleasant lifestyle.
The church of the Assomption de la Vierge dates from the beginning of the 16th century and can be found alongside the D34. Listed as an historic monument since 1926, its 16th-century stained-glass windows have been classified since 1913. Old glass has been reassembled in the windows to form composite panels. You can see, for example, a scene from Genesis inspired by the windows in the church of La Madeleine in Troyes. The Jesse Tree has taken its inspiration from the cartoons for those of the church at Noës. In the façade of Javernant church, the flamboyant doorway (that is one with carved detailing that proliferates upwards and recalls the image of a flame) has two arches, in the column between which a statue of Christ at Calvary sits in a niche. The church houses furnishings as varied as they are of good quality, including an eagle lectern dating from the first quarter of the 19th century, a late 16th-century wooden statue of Saint-Vorles saving a child from the flames, and the tombstone of Jacques le Pitancier from the 15th century. These, amongst others, are classified as objects considered to be historic monuments.
Next to the church the war memorial pays homage to nine Javernandats who died for France during the First World War.