This commune covers an area of 10km² and has just over 260 inhabitants who are known as ‘Montcelliens’. It is located 21km south of Troyes. Reached via the D85, D185 or the D444, it is 11 minutes from junction 21 (Saint-Thibault) of the A5 from Paris.
A verdant woody village, Montceaux-les-Vaudes is on the doorstep of the Forêt d’Aumont and benefits from its rural setting and the ponds to the north of the village. The typical half-timbered and exposed brick houses of the Auboise countryside are dotted around the exceptional natural landscape of Montceaux-les-Vaudes.
On Rue de l’Eglise, along the D185, stands the church of Sainte-Syre. Of Romanesque origin, it was rebuilt in 1872 and is on the site of the old chapel of the castle of Montceaux-les-Vaudes. Now destroyed, it was replaced by a 19th-century castle that now houses a special school. The church houses several 16th-century objects that are classified as historic monuments, including an oak eagle lectern, polychrome wood statues of St Eutrope and St Barbe and polychrome limestone statuettes of St Eloi and St Reine. Its beautifully made 16th-century stained-glass windows have been classified as historic monuments since 1908.
At the end of the village street, an obelisk with croix de guerre medal commemorates the victims of the First World War.