La Chapelle Saint Luc
This commune covers an area of 10.48km² and has 12,634 inhabitants who are known as ‘Chapelains’. It is adjacent to Troyes and is just 3km from the city centre. The two communes are linked by a bus route and also by cycle tracks. Reached directly from the ring road, La Chapelle-Saint-Luc is located about ten minutes from junction 20 (Torvilliers) of the A5 from Paris.
La Chapelle-Saint-Luc has a harmonious mix of green space and pleasant urban areas, and has been awarded three flowers by the Villes et Village Fleuris organisation. The shopping areas are perfectly situated in the middle of the various districts, and add to the lively feel of the commune. La Chapelle Saint-Luc is a cultural quarter. The Didier Bienaimé arts centre has a rich and varied programme including exhibitions, theatre, music, concerts and shows for young people. The Etangs de Fouchy nature park is a real haven of peace dotted with lakes and greenery.
In the 19th century, the arrival of the Malterie de Champagne malthouse and the workshops of the Compagnie des Chemins de Fer de l’Est railway company made La Chapelle-Saint-Luc one of the major communes of Aube. After the damage caused by the Second World War, it was rebuilt and a museum was opened in 2000.
To the north-east of La Chapelle Saint Luc, in Rue Jules Ferry, stand the 16th-century church, which is dedicated to St Luke. Classified as an historic monument since 1907, it has a cross-shaped plan with double transepts - a feature that was particularly fashionable in Auboise churches built during the 16th century. Its stained-glass windows, which have been restored many times since the mid-19th century, have been classified as historic monuments since 1894, and are part of the Collection Champenoise des Vitraux du Beau XVIe. Next to the church, the First World War Memorial has a helmet, rifle and victory palm resting at the base of an obelisk. North of Rue du Général Sarrail is a second church, a chapel dedicated to the Sacré-Coeur, which was built between 1953 and 1954.