Saint Parres aux Tertres
This commune covers an area of 11.8km² and has around 3070 inhabitants who are known as ‘Patrocliens’. Their name comes from Saint Patroclus (also known as Saint Parres) patron saint of the chapel where he was buried, and who gave his name to the town. He was martyred on the hill known as Mont des Idoles in 275, where the village now stands. The commune is adjacent to Saint-Julien-les-Villas, Pont-Sainte-Marie and Troyes and is located 4km from the city centre. It is 10 minutes from junction 21 (Saint-Thibault) of the A5 from Paris and 5 minutes from junction 23 (Thennelières) from the A26 between Calais and Troyes.
In 1981 ten sarcophagi were discovered, proving that Saint-Parres-aux-Tertres has been occupied since the 3rd century. The town has stood the test of time, and is now a centre of economic development - as seen in the four retail parks on the eastern side of the commune. However, it has also been awarded three flowers by the Villes et Villages Fleuris organisation in recognition of its commitment to maintaining a pleasant environment and making it a pleasant place to live. Saint-Parres-aux-Tertres also has various cultural events, sports and leisure associations and a range of facilities available to residents.
The 16th-century church of Saint-Pierre is opposite the Mairie. Classified as an historic monument in 1942, its architecture is typical of the region, with the nave and aisles being the same size and height. This is what is known as a ‘hall church’. Nevertheless, the more bays these churches have, the longer they are. The church in Saint Parres aux Tertres is one of the longest, with 5 bays. The South Door has a tympanum that incorporates a stained-glass window, and its 16th-century windows have been classified as historic monuments since 1894.
Next to the Mairie, the First World War Memorial dates from 1950 since the original was destroyed during the Second World War. On the road from Troyes, on the right just after the bridge over the Seine, a stone commemorates the 11 servicemen who died in combat on the 15 June 1940 during the Battle of France in May-June 1940.