This commune covers an area of 6.7km² and has around 340 inhabitants who are known as ‘Tanoclariens’. It is located 15 minutes east of Troyes. Reached via the D48, D161 or the D690, it is 2 minutes from junction 23 (Thennelières) of the A26 between Calais and Troyes.
Thennelières has a primary school, and its sports associations and festivities committee contribute to making it a nice place to live It is recognised as one of the communes of the Forêt d’Orient Regional Nature Park. Thennelières offers a unique place to live where the protection of the natural environment and the preservation of local heritage go hand in hand with economic development. Rural timber-framed cottages with brick infill that are typical of the Auboise countryside have more modern houses dotted among them.
The church, in Rue du 14 Juillet, is dedicated to Pope Leo III. It has a Romanesque nave (10th - 12th centuries) and an apse and transepts dating from the 16th century. The whole building was completely restored in the 19th century and the church is still maintained today. The slenderness of its bell tower and roof, combined with the half-timbering of the eaves and the stonework, give it rustic charm. The 16th century stained-glass windows were classified as historic monuments in 1908. As well as being fine examples of 16th-century glass work, some were created under the patronage of the Dinteville family. One member of the Dinteville family is partially buried in Thennelières church. Under a black and white marble gravestone encrusted with copper and dated 1531 (which is classified as an historic monument) lie the hearts of Gaucher de Dinteville and Anne du Plessy. Other items of church furnishing in Thennelières church are also classified as historic monuments, including a polychrome wooden reliquary bust of a holy bishop dating from the 18th century, and the effigy of Louise de Coligny. This is so realistic that it must have been carved from life or from a death mask. Dating from the end of the 16th century, it is made from white marble and lies on a black marble slab.
Next to the church, the First World War Memorial has the croix de guerre medal and a victory palm carved on an obelisk.