Eglise de l'Assomption
Religion , Church at Montiéramey
See photos (3)
The parish church of the Assumption is located near the site where the Montiéramey Abbey, founded in 837, stood until the Revolution.
The nave and its aisles date from the beginning of the 13th century for the walls and the 16th century for the vaults. The double transept and the apse were built in the years 1540-1545. The isolated piers of the transept were strutted in 1695. The bell tower, built in front of the façade in the 18th century, protects the Romanesque arched portal of the nave. A restoration of the vaults of the choir and the nave took place in 1994. The building consists of a three-aisled nave with four bays followed by a projecting double transept. Stained-glass windows dating from the reconstruction of the transept and apse are partially preserved in bays 1 to 4 (bay 4 is dated 1540); the central bay (bay 0) was blocked off in 1674. The original stained-glass windows have been mixed and extensively restored over the centuries, especially after 1570, when the church was plundered during the Wars of Religion, and then during the general repair of the building carried out at the end of the 17th century. Closer to home, restorations took place in 1910, then after the Second World War, in 1975-1976 and finally in 1995 by the Vinum workshop, which created four new glass canopies for the transept. One canopy donated by a certain Etienne Emery and his wife Marguerite is dedicated to their respective patron saints and to scenes from the life of Saint James (bay 3). Another, donated by a Canon Peter and a couple of donors, is dedicated to the first of the apostles and shows a Transfiguration (bay 4). Finally, bays 1 and 2 present a Marian iconography with the Litanies of the Virgin and the Crucifixion, her Presentation in the Temple and her Assumption.
The building and the glass roof have been classified as a historical monument (with the title of building) since 1840.
Contact Mr. Cunninghan: 03 25 41 21 22.
- See all reviews