Eglise de Sainte-Maure
Listed or registered (CNMHS) , Church , Gothic at Sainte-Maure
See photos (3)
The church of Sainte-Maure, in the commune of the same name, was known as Saint-Barthélemy until the pilgrimage to Sainte-Maure (a saint who lived in the 9th century) took on a certain importance. Built from west to east, the building was erected in two campaigns. The massive bell-tower on the façade is probably the oldest element, dating from just before the four bays of the nave with aisles, which date from the 15th or early 16th century. The whole ensemble is covered with warheads. The eastern parts, choir and transept hall of three bays covered with cantons, liernes and tiercerons vaults higher than those of the nave, end in a three-sided apse; they were finished in 1546. The oldest stained glass windows (1st quarter of the 16th century) are located on the north aisle side of the nave and are contemporary to its construction or slightly later. The old panels occupy the tympana and lancet heads. They were largely completed at the end of the 19th century, in particular by figurative roundels painted by the collector H. de Faucigny, Prince of Lucinge, offered by his family in 1899. These panels are too fragmentary for an overall logic to be found in their iconography.
There are many representations of armoured shields, such as those of Odard Hennequin, Bishop of Troyes, or Nicolas Bizet de Troyes, Lord of Charley. There is also an abbot (Saint Leo) holding the palm of martyrdom, an Assumption, the martyrdom of Saint Sebastian and a Christ on the cross. In the transept is a second group of ancient stained glass windows. The Trojan glass painter Linard Gonthier worked on Sainte-Maure, but it is not known on which bays. He is traditionally credited with the creation (around 1600) of the stained glass windows of the Judgments of Solomon (bay 6) and the Tree of Jesse (bay 8). The latter, dated 1603, was probably donated by Jean Thévignon, abbot of Sainte-Maure, commander of Saint-Antoine and the king's chaplain. These two canopies were extensively restored at the end of the 19th century, and only the central lancet of the Tree of Jesse remains. Stained-glass windows older than a few years have been brought together in a large composite canopy (bay 7) showing, among other things, donors presented by their patron saints. At the end of the 19th century, the stained glass windows of Calvary and Saint Moor (1888), and of Saint Bartholomew, respectively by Chabrin (or Chabin?) and Virot, and the Litanies of the Virgin were added to the choir. Finally, in 1985, Sylvie Gaudin, also in charge of restorations, created the two decorative stained glass windows surrounding the apse's central bay, which were restored and completed at the end of the 19th century. They were restored again in 1916. In 1972, the stained glass windows of the north arm of the transept were repaired by the Vinum workshop. Several stained glass windows were restored between 1981 and 1985 by Michel Mauret, from Heiltz-le-Maurupt (Marne).
The church and stained glass windows are classified as historical monuments (under the title of buildings) on 20 April 1931.
To contact Mr GRAIN volunteer : 06-85-35-67-99
- See all reviews