Listed or registered (CNMHS) , Historic site and monument , Gothic , Church at Creney-près-Troyes
See photos (2)
- The church Saint-Aventin de Creney-près-Troyes exists at least since the 12th century. The present building was built from east to west in the 16th century and only the lower parts of the tower date back to the 13th century. The south portal in Renaissance style is dated 1557 and may be the work of master masons Jademet and J. Thiedot because of its stylistic proximity to the old western gate of Saint-Parres-aux-Tertres which bears their signature. The porch was rebuilt in 1847-1848. The building is a three-vessel hall church with five bays with ribbed vaults and a three-sided apse. The liturgical choir encroaches on the last two bays of the central vessel and the bell tower is located on the third bay of the same vessel. The side aisles are covered with roofs perpendicular to the axis of the building. The western façade is marked by the presence of a portal giving access to an entrance vestibule. An important group of stained glass windows was made around 1510-1520 during the reconstruction work. Numerous inscriptions make it possible to date them and to find out who commissioned them, local personalities. The stained-glass windows are inspired, among other models, by those of the church of the Madeleine of Troyes and are therefore similar to the "Trojan school". The stained glass windows, restored in 1894 by Gaudin, were removed in 1939 and then restored again in 1957-1958 by Max Ingrand. They show both large scenes extending over several panels, such as the Adoration of the Magi performed in 1520 for François Hennequin and Louise Molé, and figures of saints sponsoring donors, such as Saints Henri, Barbe, Catherine and Marguerite with Henry de Foissy and Marguerite de Chamrémy. The latter canopy also includes scenes from the Passion of Christ. The Crucifixion was performed in 1520 for the parish priest Nicolas Godet. In the glass roof donated by François Hennequin and Louise Molé, the scenes of the Circumcision of Christ and the Adoration of the Magi take place in Renaissance style architectural interiors. Finally, the panels donated by Jehan Gubelin and his wife, in the first quarter of the 16th century, are dedicated to the Virgin with scenes of the Annunciation, the Dormition and the Coronation of Mary. The church was classified as a historical monument in 1907 and the stained glass windows were given the title object on 9 August 1894.
- See all reviews