Church at Saint-Jean-de-Bonneval
See photos (4)
Saint-Jean-Baptiste Church, built in the place of the previous one that collapsed in 1818, was erected between 1826 and 1830. In its inspiration from the past, the 19th century chose here to take up the main lines of the Roman basilicas. A single vessel flanked by aisles, separated from the nave by Tuscan columns, and small high windows on the upper floor help to recreate the fantasized sensations of a Roman basilica.
While the exterior appears sober and simple in form, the interior invites a change of scenery.
Part of its furniture is classified as a historical monument: a gilded, polychrome limestone statue of Saint Nicolas from the 16th century, in the same technique, two statues from the end of the 16th or beginning of the 17th century representing Sainte Syre and the Virgin and Child.
Two reliquary statues have been added to this collection, one of Saint John the Baptist and the other of the Virgin and Child, both in oak and polychrome faux marble and dated from the 18th century.
- See all reviews