Church at Saint-Pouange
See photos (2)
In the centre of the village, rue de la Reine Blanche, Saint-Pouange church was rebuilt in 1854.
Its apse dates from the 12th century, and a vault and a window still date from the 15th century, the whole has been thought out trying not to distort the history of its origins.
Many sculptures preserved in the church are classified as historical monuments as objects. Notably a Virgin and Child in polychrome limestone dating from the 14th century and a San Sebastian in limestone dating from the 16th century which may have been produced by the school of Chaource.
Two limestone sculptures from the first quarter of the 16th century are made in the manner of the Master of Chaource with their restrained expressions which reveal the pain experienced by these Saints, or the physiological marks that can be seen in other sculptures by the master.
The stained-glass windows of Saint-Pouange dated from the 16th century are also classified as historical monuments.
- Spoken languages
- See all reviews